Friday, October 24, 2014

Five for Friday: a $1 Deal, a tech tip, and monster fun!

I'm linking up with Doodlebugs for FFF!
I prepped all my Halloween math centers for next week and I'm just loving how they turned out.
There's my Place Value Math Center with cute ghosts and a fun Pumpkin Place Value Math Center.


I think my favorite is the Even and Odd Sorting Center with the cutest witch legs!




Students will sort the task cards, write them on the recording sheet, and then can scan the QR codes to check their work. I have marked this down to $1 for the rest of the weekend!
My dear Yorkie, Scruffy, hasn't been doing so well. He's been hobbling along on 3 legs and not wanting to bear weight on his 4th leg. It got to the point where he couldn't even climb out of his bed, go through his doggy door or go up one 2-inch step to get back inside. I took him to the vet and she prescribed an arthritis pill. I gave him his first dose and the very next morning he was hopping and prancing around like he was (almost) his old self.

Tuesday we watched a video of I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll and read by Rita Moreno. Then we made our very own monsters! They look adorable! Check out the video here:

We're working on place value to the hundreds place. First, we put these flip flaps in our interactive notebooks from my Monster Math Place Value pack. Then we practiced writing our numbers 4 ways. Get my 4 Ways to Show a Number here for FREE!

 Have you heard of Padlet? It's a great web 2.0 tool that you can use with students to collect evidence of learning, share ideas, and collaborate on. It's super easy to use and can be a great digital portfolio to show parents at conference time. For the first Padlet lesson,  we started with a simple task: tell about a 3 digit number. Students were given a card with a 3 digit number. They had to build it with base 10 blocks and write it in expanded form and in word form (see above). Then they took pictures with the iPads and added them to their individual math Padlets by scanning their own QR codes displayed from the interactive white board. Here's an example:
You can imagine the possibilities with the ability to add photo, video and text! You can also make a Padlet for certain topics. We made a bat Padlet with video of kids telling what they learned about bats and pictures of their projects. I'm working on a more detailed post on using Padlet so stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Love your cute monsters. Praying that Scruffy continues to get better! And totally want your even and odd sorting. On my way to your shop now! See ya soon! Let's plan this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love I NEED MY MONSTER! Your monster activity is adorable!

    I have a book companion I made for it!
    {Check out my blog post about it! http://schoolslp.blogspot.com/2014/03/i-need-my-monster-speech-and-language.html}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the link to the book companion on my TpT:

    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/I-Need-My-Monster-Speech-and-Language-Book-Companion-1169755

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzy, I love I Need My Monster. It's in my pile of monster books to read next week. And I have a thirteen year old Yorkie named Popeye. She's still peppy, but jumping off the bed is getting no longer something she can (should) do. She's a best friend. See you are around! Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete