Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A Few of My Favorite Things Linky

Ok, a midweek linky party that I can actually get done? Yes, please! I'm linking up with the Teaching Trio for their new(ish) monthly linky called:

I'm sharing three of my favorite apps to use with students! I have many more, but I'll just talk about the three that I use most.
#1 Is a freebie and I literally use it everyday! It has replaced my dry erase boards for my guided math groups. I love that I can have the students take screenshots of their work to add to their digital portfolios. The kids love all the chalk colors! They enjoy using this app with a stylus to help with their handwriting. Another plus: no messy dry erase markers that dry up!

#2 Isn't free but it is a must have app in my book. The kids actually beg me about the next time they get to use Explain Everything to demonstrate their math thinking. My school asked one of our Senators for some extra money for technology and my principal brought him into my classroom when we were using this app and it knocked his socks off! This is a simple screen casting app that records students' voices and annotations. I write a few problems on the board, students take a picture with the iPad and then import it into the app and start recording as they write and explain their thinking. Talk about powerful assessment!

#3 Has a limited free version that you can upgrade. My kiddos love to play all the Slide games (Slide 100 and Slide + & -) but this one is their favorite. When they are especially good or have been working super hard, we'll have Slide tournaments. This game is awesome because it can be played with 2-4 players. When we get down to the "final four" players, we'll jump on AirPlay and watch the kiddos play on the big screen! I'm sure you can hear them cheering for their friends all the way to the principal's office. Sometimes an especially confident student will challenge me to a round. It is way too much fun to resist.

6 comments:

  1. I want that explain everything app!! How cool is that?! Maybe that is just what my students need! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had iPads! Those apps sound awesome! Thanks for linking up :)
    ~Kristen
    Chalk & Apples
    Teaching Trio

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first two apps sounds like perfect additions to my grammar lessons! We use mentor texts and sentences and I think adding in those apps would be great! The second app sounds a lot like Show Me which is a free app that I use a lot! Thanks for giving me more apps to add to my try-out list!

    Have a great weekend,
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! These 3 apps sound awesome!! I want to have my kids try Explain Everything!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Suzy Palmer
    Thanks for sharing and talking about these three apps that you use most.
    Nice Post
    Get Unique Essays Writing Service Online

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Suzy Palmer
    I hope that you are fine, Thanks for sharing this helpful post, I most like the chalkboard app because I really enjoy
    Nice Post
    Write My College Paper

    ReplyDelete